July “NY Distilled Spirits Month” to Promote
Second Annual Spirits Competition and Events Across the State
NYSDG partnered with the Raise a Glass Foundation to stage the spirits competition in May. The competition is a way of raising the bar of spirits being distilled in New York state, and to raise funds to support collective promotional, research, and legislative activities NYSDG executes on behalf of the state’s distillers. CLICK HERE to see complete results of the second annual competition.
This year’s Best in Show winner was Yankee Distillers Straight Wheat Whiskey, which is hosting a Fourth Anniversary party on Saturday, July 27, with exclusive releases, food, and live music. Saint Lawrence Spirits won Distillery of the Year based on the cumulative points of all of their medaling entries, and are planning an event for Wednesday, July 31, with hors d'oeuvres from Chef Christian Ives from the Saint Lawrence Spirits Château Restaurant and live entertainment by Travis Rocco.
Other events include a Brooklyn Public Library Archive “Barchive” conversation, “Moonshine, Speakeasies and Local Stills”, held at Van Brunt Distillery on Thursday, July 25, a “Moonshot Party” toasting the 50th anniversary of the moon landing with Moonshine cocktails and barbeque at Buffalo Distilling on July 20, and a fundraiser for Rochester-area charity focused on children with heart disease, Mended Little Hearts, at Black Button Distillery on July 19. Additionally, Brooklyn’s Barrow’s Intense Tasting Room will feature a different NY distillery each day in July, with 10% off tastings and bottles of the products of that day’s featured distillery.
The complete calendar of NY Distilled Spirits Month events is:
- July 6, Coppersea Distilling (New Paltz), New Release of Bonticou Crag Bottled-in-Bond
- July 11, Standard Wormwood Takeover at Barrow’s Intense Tasting Room
- July 12, Olde York Farm (Claverack), Be Golden Farm Pizza Pop Up & Release of 2019 Finocchietto Amaro
- July 13, Five & 20 Spirits (Westfield), Whiskey Barrel Tasting
- July 19, Black Button Distilling (Rochester), Mended Little Hearts Fundraiser
- July 20, Murray’s Fools Distilling Company (Altona), MFDC Open House
- July 20, Springbrook Farm Distillery (Queensbury), party with live music, food, and cocktails
- July 25, Van Brunt Stillhouse (Brooklyn), Moonshine, Speakeasies and Local Stills talk
- July 26, Five & 20 Spirits (Westfield), Bird Cocktail Class
- July 27, Coppersea Distilling (New Paltz), Inaugural Release of Bottled-in-Bond Excelsior Bourbon
- July 27, Yankee Distillers (Clifton Park), 4th Anniversary Party with Special Releases
- July 29, Buffalo Distilling Company (Buffalo), Moonshot Party
- July 31, Saint Lawrence Spirits (Clayton), Distillery of the Year Cocktail Party
NYSDG Treasurer and Marketing Committee Chair and Olde York Farm owner Louise Newsome said, “From the North Country, through the Hudson Valley, down to New York City, and out to Western New York, by hosting these coordinated events in July, New York’s farm distilleries are helping drinkers draw the connection between our guild members, New York agricultural products, and high-quality spirits.”
Craft distilleries across New York State support and contribute to the revitalization of local agriculture and New York’s inner cities. Founded in 2014, the NYSDG’s mission is to promote and advocate for the distilling industry in New York State through the collective voice of our members and to generate high quality, reputable and successful distilled spirits in New York State. In addition to great shaping pro-distillery legislation, and educating trade and consumers, NYSDG has supported the development of several regional spirits trails, developed nydistilled.com, and contributed to the success and growth of the Taste NY Program.
For Media & Press inquiries, please contact NYSDG Director Jenn Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org; 917.714.4274